Solo Week: Our Second Assignment. Part 2.5

   In our latest group critic we were tasked with working and editing SS107 alone, as in, not part of any group but with the same business, in hopes of merging them and creating something better in the end. Originally I went completely insane with the idea and ended up so far removed from the original I had to dial it back. (pictured right bellow unfinished ↓)
   
The gist of it was to create modular spaces divided by levels of privacy and united by stairs (originally ramps) all across the space. For example, something wholly on the ground was to be considered a public space and as it went farther back it was meant to be a public private space with considerations such as noise amount and foot traffic taken into account, consider these spaces to be bathrooms and changing rooms. Something higher but closer to the entrance was to be considered private public as in, the amount of noise was not a detriment or obstacle but there was less foot traffic therefore it could be placed on higher ground, consider these spaces to be offices and administration. I created a matrix to depict the overall of each room in this approach and it has guided my decisions even as I step away from the modular idea and step back into a more recognizable territory. It was an interesting experiment.  

  

 Diving a little more into the Public-Private Program, it looks to lightly and briefly outline what I thought to be important factors in the design of a relaxation space, the tip of the iceberg: noise generated by the outside environment and customers (shown as yellow spots that grow and disappear across), and the volume of people (shown as little dots circling around their respected spaces)  that will be present in an area at a given moment. It also takes a simple approach at demonstrating the level of nature I wish to present in my design. I pictured this program as the longitude of the house and placed each space where I thought they would be more suited according to the task that is to be performed in them. For example, when I look at where the living area is located, I'm meant to feel like ti should be an almost completely separate entity from the rest of the space because it should be completely private from customers visiting the spa.  

   Of this project I have designed approximately 10 separate approaches, some more successful in projecting what my hopes are in consideration to the clients. To make the stakes a little closer to reality I interviewed real people in my life that carried the work experience I was hoping to mimic the space after. They deviated a bit from the original spa idea and centered on wanting to create a wellness focused environment with yoga, meditation classes and nutrition and sensory counseling.
  
 
   Parting from the interview I compiled a plant narrative that could aid in their goal of creating a relaxing yet sensory aware space with plants that invoke different responses in the body, and multiple uses in the wellness and massage field that grow well in warm climates. Not necessarily having to restrict to only these plants but can be used as a based to arrange the garden spaces consciously. 



   Building wise the original group idea to create a relaxing space taking inspiration from the historical stair design was something that I wanted to conserve, and as a result I am currently working on this design: 


   I decided to to give the tenants a private entrance simply because the original design already boasted two doors. The picture bellow shows my use of our group's pattern as a wall with the intention of filling the space with interesting shadows.

 


Comments

Popular Posts